"I'll take you up the country
And show you the bush.."
The Melbourne the Clancy's first knew was surrounded by bush, and they soon became acquainted with typically Australian flora and fauna -gum trees, wattles, kangaroos, emus, opossums and other species. But even when they worked on the land for Messrs. Sayers and Browne they were not many miles away from the shops, offices, schools and churches of Melbourne.
Evidence of a move to a much more distant place comes from the Victorian Directory of 1851 when Thomas Clancy is listed as. being at Mt William, via Burnbank, a very vague indication of his location.1 Mt William is the tallest mountain in the Grampians in western Victoria. Burnbank (later called Lexton) was the name of a small posting place which had the makings of a village, and through which mail went to the scattered residents beyond. Here a Court of Petty Sessions was held, first at the Inn, then at the Police Station (Pettets'). It was also called Pyrenees. David Anderson was Postmaster in 1848 and Robert Harper Postmaster at Crowlands, a little further away. In 1851, the Government invited tenders for the carriage of mail from Burnbank to Horsham by way of Glenorchy once or twice a week. This drew no response, and so, any mail carried at that time would be by teamsters.
The whole area beyond was taken up by large stations - Mr Carfrae occupied "Ledcourt", Mr Campbell "Lexington", Mr Armstrong "Allanvale", Mr H. Campbell "Newington", Dr Blundell "Concongella", Mr Blackwood "Woodlands", Mrs McMillan "Glynwilliam". "Concongella" included the area where gold was discovered in 1853 along Pleasant Creek, which led to the rise of Stawell. "Allanvale" was immediately south of it.2 It was to "Allanvale" station that Thomas Clancy went, probably in the latter part of 1849.
The winter of 1849 was very wet, making roads impassable, and delaying the start of shearing until late spring. One report was that two drays from the interior arrived at Geelong with average loads drawn by fourteen bullocks, which showed signs of being drawn belly deep through mud and water. Mails were late. As late as October, there were more than fifty bullock teams in Geelong awaiting return to stations with shearing supplies. With many there were shearers, sheepwashers and labourers who had been hired, but could not move because of the condition of the roads and floods. The winter of 1849 was long remembered for the frequent falls of snow. On 1st September, Melbourne streets were covered with a foot of snow. When it melted, the Yarra flooded and many cottages were swept away. 3
When the weather improved sufficiently for people to move, the Clancy's left Melbourne on their long journey into the bush, probably travelling in a dray or wagon drawn by bullocks. They may have gone to Geelong and then travelled with one of the drays returning to the station in the Pyrenees, or they may have travelled via Buninyong to Great Western, and then to "Allanvale".
In 1848, some details of "Allanvale" were given in the "Claims to Leases of Crown Land - Wimmera District". No 55 John Sinclair - Name of Run Sinclair's formerly Allanvale. (It is to be noted that though the word "formerly" appears in the advertisement, the name "Allanvale" continued to be used as well as "Sinclair's"). 4 This run comprised 80,000 acres and was capable of grazing 15,000 sheep. The boundary with H.S. Willis' property to the west was the summit of the range of hills, to the south the boundary was as far as the trees extended on an extensive plain beyond which was McGill & Co's station. The eastern boundary was the eastern side of the range of hills to the north. The northern boundary was that of "Concongella" station. The property extended about 12 miles north and south and about lot miles east and west.
"Allanvale" was in the possession of John Sinclair (who came from Claireville in Tasmania) from 1844 to September 1854, and was occupied 'for him by Mr Blow, after which it was owned by Mr Armstrong. By 1841, John Sinclair's sheep from Launceston were on Concongella Creek to the north of Ararat in charge of William W. Blow; and soon afterwards, John Allan, also from Tasmania, was grazing stock in the same neighbourhood. In those days before there were fences, and no thorough surveys, there were sometimes disputes between neighbours. Such a dispute about boundaries between Sinclair and Allan was settled by arbitration, Sinclair getting "Allanvale" and Allan "Concongella". 5
A stone slab in the garden at' "Lexington" marks the grave of Allan's wife, Eliza Anne, and their baby daughter, Eliza. She died at the birth of her third child on 15th March 1843. Such were the perils of women in childbirth in the bush, far from medical care. The Willis's at "Lexington" were the Allan's nearest neighbour, and Mrs Allan had been a frequent visitor to that homestead. Allan was in financial difficulties, and soon after his wife's death, he surrendered "Concongella" to Dr Blundell.
In 1845, Messrs. Boundy and Tucker put up an Inn at Tucker's Hill to catch the trade of wagons and stockmen on their way to stations in the Wimmera. Mr and Mrs Boundy's daughter, Sarah Jane, died in a fire on 3rd January 1848, which destroyed her father's run. The farewell of John and Mary Boundy to their four year old daughter is inscribed on her tombstone in the graveyard on "Allanvale" in verses commencing:
"The flaming fire around me came The Lord required my soul."6
The Clancys must often have seen this grave.
Very little is known concerning the life of the Clancys on "Allanvale". Quite likely, the work and remuneration was similar to that which they had with Mr Sayers, where husband and wife were employed as a team, he to do outside duties connected with the sheep-station, and she to work in the house of the manager. At that time, the prevailing wages were - Man and wife for general service £47 per annum, rations gratis, and no house rent. The rations were per week 12 lbs flour, 12 lbs fresh meat, 4 ozs tea, 2 lbs moist sugar, besides vegetables and milk. The station had other employees whose wages were -stock-keepers £26 to £36 per annum; ordinary farm servants £25 per annum, ploughman £30 per annum.7 Eleanor was there, probably assisting her mother. It is not known whether John and Tom were also there. At least we know Tom was working on another station quite a distance away not long afterwards. Agnes, Richard and Geraldine were quite young, and would need to be taught by their parents or by the older members of the family.
The station had both hill and plain, the gum trees not yet ring-barked, the capacious acres not yet enclosed by fences, except for a few stockyards, nor was the land at that time menaced by rabbits and blackberries.
The seasons brought their changes and challenges - winter with its biting winds, frosts and snows covering the nearby Pyrenees; summer with its searing heat, dried water-courses and frequent bushfires calling for herculean effort to prevent loss of property and life, and, at times, storms and floods.
The Clancy home was likely to be a bark or log house, with the kitchen a separate building behind the main home, and maybe connected with a covered over walkway. The roof was probably held down by logs. Probably the house only had shutters (they would be fortunate if they had some glazed windows), and certainly there would only be shutters in the kitchen. Bag or calico would serve as a ceiling, and the only lining would be papers pasted to the walls. Rough slab furniture provided some of the furnishings. The house would be hot, flies would be annoying, and cowdung would be burned to keep mosquitoes away.
The kitchen would have a large fireplace built square with masonry blocks, with a large baking oven kept constantly hot by the glowing coals. A fountain hanging on a large hook provided hot water. At the back of the fire were bars on which iron pots could be kept simmering. Along the walls were long work benches. The water would be obtained from a well or nearby creek. 8
The women folk baked damper, ground and cooked cornmeal, grew vegetables, fed the fowls and collected the eggs, and with some luck had a house cow to provide milk. If the cow was quiet, Eleanor or Anne would simply take a stool and milk it where it happened to be. Otherwise, a simple bail was erected in the open. The pans of milk were set in a cool dairy, the cream skimmed off and butter made with a hand churn.
If the Clancy's were fortunate, there might already be some fruit trees growing and bearing fruit, from which the women could make jams and quince jelly. H.S. Wills wrote in 1850: "We have some peaches, plums, melons My mill (for grinding wheat) is at work". If on his property, then probably something like this would also be on "Allanvale". 9
There was plenty of work for the menfolk - with horses, sheep and probably cattle. There were many different building activities - pens, hurdles, rail or chock or brush fences around gardens, stockyards - plus repairs and improvements. Then the round of duties in mustering, tending sheep for footrot and other complaints, sheep-washing, shearing, pressing and getting the wool to the sea-board - to mention just a few of the duties. The usual method of transport was with bullock teams. There would be some cultivation, which meant ploughing, sowing and harvesting, using the primitive implements of the day; stacking and threshing out wheat and oats; planting and digging potatoes, working in the vegetable garden and orchard. On occasion, there were lost animals to find or even recover from the Bumbank pound, broken vehicles to repair, making good the ravages of the seasons and property improvements.
They had contact with a limited number of people - the manager, overseers, good and bad shepherds, other employees permanent and itinerant, teamsters, aboriginals. Inevitably, there was less social life than they had known in Melbourne. As for church - they were now in an area, for the first time in their lives, seldom traversed by priest or parson. They maintained their own religious faith by family devotions.
One of the persons the Clancy's came to know on "Allanvale" was an overseer named Robert Stewart. He hailed from Argylishire, Scotland, embarked at Greenock on the Thomas Arbutlinot, and arrived in Melbourne on 2nd October 1841, just a month earlier than the date of the Clancys arrival. When he emigrated he was listed as Protestant, 23 years of age, and able to read and write. He was brought out by Robert How & Co., who was paid a bounty of £19. Robert was a wool sorter and came as an agent for a firm of wool-sorters. While acting as an agent, he would have lived at either Geelong or Melbourne. Later he went up country.10
Despite disparity in age, a romance blossomed between Robert Stewart and Eleanor Clancy. When they decided to marry, they found it necessary to journey to Geelong, a trip of about 120 miles. It would be done in a bullock dray along a road (little better than a track) that Robert had travelled on other occasions when taking wool to Geelong and bringing back supplies for the station. Probably, he combined business with this matrimonial venture. Eleanor's parents also travelled with them.
The country was very dry, and the atmosphere thick and lurid from recent bushfires. January 21 was a day of tremendous heat with a temperature of 110 degrees in Melbourne and like high temperatures in other places.
Robert and Eleanor were married in St. Mary's Church on 20th January 1851 by Rev. Patrick Dunne (described by Ian Wynd as "that stormy petrel of Victorian Catholicism"), Eleanor's parents signing as witnesses. The Church was not the present one (which was opened in 1872, and which dominates Geelong from its elevated position on Church Hill), but the second Church to be built on that site. This Church was opened in 1847 and named after the Church In Assisi. Father Dunne said of this Church, "It was a pretty little Church built of very bad Barrabool stone. It soon began to show signs of decay, and the weather side had to get three coats of paint in '53 to preserve it from the effects of frost and rain". 11
Shortly before this event took place, anticipating words from England granting Port Phillip District separation from New South Wales, a Committee on Separation rejoicings had been formed in Geelong, and celebrations were held there on Monday and Tuesday, 18th and 19th November 1850, with divine services of Thanksgiving a week later. Bonfires were lit on mountain tops at Mt William and Mt Misery in the Grampians, Mt Cole in the Pyrenees, Mt Emu and other places.12
The Victorian Industrial Exhibition was held in Geelong on 29th and 30th January 1851. Livestock, agriculture and wines were exhibited for prizes. Probably, the Stewarts and Clancys stayed to visit the Exhibition. 13
Then came Black Thursday, a day of extreme unpleasantness for everyone in Victoria, and the Stewarts and Clancys would have found the journey homewards very trying if they were travelling on that day. One writer describes it thus:
"6th February 1851 will long be remembered as the most disastrous day that has ever up to the present, befallen any of the colonies or dependencies of the British Empire. In the year 1851 the colonists experienced a very severe season, through the long continued drought. The heat continued until June, and no rain fell until July and August. Food and water became scarce in every district, and great number of stock perished. For two months preceding Black Thursday, the country had been under the influence of hot winds. Everything was in a manner baked. The north wind set in early on the morning of the sixth of February, and by noon increased to a hurricane, and bush fires swept across whole districts, crossing roads and wide streams, destroying everything that stood in its way. From Gisborne to Carlsruhe nothing could be seen but the blackened stumps of trees. The wind suddenly changed at nightfall, and the thermometer dropped down to 80 degrees,"
The writer goes on to tell of a great amount of destitution, with large numbers utterly ruined. In Melbourne, Geelong and elsewhere relief funds were raised to help the destitute, Geelong alone raising £1,100.
Describing Black Thursday, Edmund Finn writes:
"Messrs. Williamson and Blow, of Pentland Hills, have had their stations completely destroyed houses, furniture, every stitch of clothing, except what was in actual use............A gentleman who reached Melbourne from the Pyrenees states that the conflagration he witnessed exceeded all powers of imagination. For fifty miles of his route, a chain of fires ran along each side of him, even to the very margin of the road he travelled the scrub and grass were blazing. When the flames pounced upon a large tree impeding their course, it was enveloped in a moment, and exploded with a loud noise."
How could "Allanvale" and the people on it have been unaffected? The Mr Blow referred to was Mr William W. Blow, who had been manager of "Allanvale" station, but who with Mr J . Williamson, had "Frenchman's" station the Pentland Hills (much nearer Melbourne) from 1847 to 1853.14
The next significant event was the discovery of gold in a number of places in rapid succession. A contemporary writer, James Bonwick, summarises these discoveries:
"The Clunes diggings were announced on 8th July 1851. They are on Deep Creek, a tributary of the Loddon, 100 miles west of Melbourne (and probably only 30 or 40 miles from "Allanvale"). The Buninyong followed on August 9th, being 25 miles closer to our capital. But the great revelation was at Ballarat, on September 5th, which was 75 miles from Melbourne, and 54 miles from Geelong. The wonderful Mt Alexander diggings were visited on September 10th. Bendigo followed soon after."15
Thomas Gerald Clancy said that when gold was discovered he was working for Mr J.H. Patterson on "Campaspe Plains" station, only fifteen miles away from Bendigo. "Campaspe Plains" (144,000 acres) was taken up by Charles Hutton in 1838, owned by C.H. Ebden from February 1851 to March 1852, when it passed into the hands of J.H. Patterson who had it until September of that year.16
Tom Clancy is not quite clear. Was he there when gold was discovered at Bendigo when Ebden was the owner, and continued working on the property after Patterson took over? Possibly, he forgot to mention the earlier owner.
Concerning John we have no information. He may have been at "Allanvale", or he may have been working on some other station. The parents continued at "Allanvale" for some time after the discovery of gold. There is nothing to suggest that either Thomas Clancy or his sons made any move to go gold-mining, even though great masses of other people were forsaking the land, and the towns, to endeavour to make their fortunes on the goldfields. As the Clancys were living quite near the goldfields, they must have known many who did go mining for gold.
During all this time, correspondence was maintained with their daughters in Ireland. Mary Nanno told her children that she and her sister, Catherine, went to school in Ireland, and then later went to France to further their education. While in France, one of them contracted measles and became very ill, necessitating their return to Ireland. The family physician suggested that she would be more likely to regain her health if she took a long sea trip.17
The suggestion was communicated from Ireland to their parents at "Allanvale", and arrangements were entered into for the two girls to leave Ireland and join the rest of the family. Because of the length of time it took for letters to travel from Ireland to Australia and back, the matter of their travel was probably raised in 1851, certainly not later than early 1852, for the two girls left Ireland in September of that year. They were then about 13 and 12 years of age. The story of their journey and arrival will be taken up in the next chapter. It would seem that Thomas Clancy and family stayed at "Allanvale" until the latter part of 1852. Quite likely, after moving from "Allanvale", they spent a short while with the Stewarts at Glenorchy at the time of the birth of their first child, Catherine, in 1852, before proceeding to Sheepwash Creek.
We turn now to consider affairs in the lives of the Stewarts, and events in the area in which they lived.
From the middle 1840s there was a great deal of movement in the Wimmera, and Glenorchy was an important crossing place. The first town survey was made in the middle of 1850, and land sales followed on Wednesday 11th September. Robert Stewart bought the first lot sold, plus three others. These were two rood allotments put up at the upset price of £8 an acre. The Title Deed of the first lot reads:
"Robert Stewart of Pyrenees, 10-12-1850.
Glenorchy - Territory of New South Wales.
Allot. 1. Section 1.
East 2 chains, South 2 chains 50 links, West 2 chains, North 2 chains 50 links.
For the sum of Four Pounds, containing by measurement 2 roods.
Quit rent one pepper corn for ever if demanded. Entered in Record of Town Purchases No 120 -Page 359, on 30-l2-l850."
Other purchasers were John Gleeson, the innkeeper, who secured five allotments, D.S. Campbell (two allotments), and R. Langlands (one allotment), the last two men being from Melbourne.
Stewart built a fell-mongering shed and wool press between the inn built by Gleeson in 1844 and the site of the State School. The shed 'had four posts each ten feet high, with a long lever attached. Gleeson named the hamlet which grew up about his inn and the fell-mongery, Glenorchy, after his birthplace in Scotland. John Wallace in 1888 and 1889 wrote articles in the Stawell Times about people and places, often biased. He was an early Postmaster in Stawell. He recalled the slab and shingle house and large wool-shed built by Stewart, who bought sheep-skins from the Wimmera stations and scoured them. Stewart owned two bullock teams in which the skins were collected and taken to Geelong after scouring. There were, two river crossings, till a bridge was built in 1860, the first a ford about two miles above Glenorchy, and the second a ford about half a mile below the School, known as Stewart's Crossing.18
The date of Robert Stewart's move to Glenorchy can be narrowed down to between March and July 1851, for in March he lost a bay mare from "Allanvale", and on 1st July he advertised in The Intelligencer offering One Pound Reward for information concerning the mare. He gave his address as Glenorchy. He continued to advertise till December, but whether he got his mare back or not we do not know. Many people advertised for horses lost or stolen. John Judge offered Five Pounds Reward for a brown horse stolen from "Allanvale" on the night of 18th March 1851. 19 Eleanor may not have gone to Glenorchy as early as her husband, but may have preferred to wait until he acquired land and erected his slab house.
Not far south of Glenorchy gold was discovered along Pleasant Creek in 1853 and the town of Stawell came into being. Giving evidence before the Goldfields Reward Board on 2nd February 1854, W. McLachlan said that he was employed as a shepherd by Mr W.R. Scott of "Allanvale" station, living in a bark hut at Pleasant Creek where he discovered gold in the bed of the creek. While he was looking for gold along the creek, a blackfellow from Glenorchy saw him. A few days afterwards, the blackfellow returned to the creek with a party from Glenorchy. 20
Like the nearer settlement which became Stawell, Glenorchy was a lively place during the gold-digging days. Bushrangers operated in the area. In February 1852, the Police Commissioner from South Australia, Alexander Tolmer, passed through Glenorchy with two constables and a guide escorting gold to Adelaide. In Glenorchy he saw and challenged (with typical bravado) "half a dozen of the most cut-throat looking scoundrels" to attack the escort party, a challenge which they did not accept. 21
A different kind of person, a priest, visited the goldfields and Glenorchy from time to time. Father Dunne, who had married the Stewarts, was transferred to the Ballarat diggings in October 1851 He was at Burnbank (Lexton) on 29th October and 3rd November, at Mt Emu on 7th November, then back to Ballarat, then on 12th-l4th November was in the Pyrenees during which time one would expect that he visited the Clancys, then back to Burbank on 15th November. In later years he described his travels in the bush. "The priests when they went on their round of stations, for a month or more had to carry vestments before them on their saddles, and if they could not reach a homestead before night they would consider themselves fortunate in dropping in to a shepherd's hut and would gladly accept his hospitality of black tea, damper and mutton." 22
Four children were born to Robert and Eleanor Stewart - Catherine (Kate) (born 1852), William John (2nd December 1853), Richard Thomas (8th April 1856) and Geraldine Mary ("Dene") (7th November 1859).
There being no resident priest, and as the Clancys had moved to Bendigo in the meantime, the Stewarts had the three children whose birthdates are given, baptised in Bendigo by Rev. Dr Henry Backhaus. Thomas (either Eleanor's father or brother) and Mary Nanno were sponsors for William, who was baptised three months after his birth. John and Catherine were sponsors at the baptism of Richard, this baptism taking place less than three weeks after his birth. Richard was born in the home of Thomas and Anne Clancy. The address given being "Emu Creek". Geraldine was baptised only four days after her birth, her sponsors being Joseph Doran and Geraldine Clancy. 23 Eleanor's father died only a month after the birth of Geraldine, and he had been in poor health for some time previously. This may be the reason why Eleanor was in Bendigo for the birth of her fourth child.
These children grew up in Glenorchy, and were educated there. William Calder was appointed master of the School at Glenorchy in 1858, just when William was ready to start school. He was an energetic man and taught the children to sing "moral and teetotal songs". The first School was conducted in a house. A brick school was built in 1862 at a cost of £120, the parents paying half the cost.24
The Revs. P. Maddern and F.X. Kennelly were resident priests at Ballarat in 1858, and they held stations twice a year, at Christmas and Easter, at Glenorchy and four times a year at Pleasant Creek. An elderly priest from Cork, Father Barrett, described as a person of "indomitable energy and vigorous physique" went to Ararat in January 1858, and erected a tent at Pleasant Creek in April of that year. At Glenorchy, a reservation of two acres of land was made in August 1861, and in the following year Father Barrett erected a wooden chapel costing 300. Some time afterwards, he started a small school there with J.J. Shadwell in charge. Other teachers in the sixties were Thomas Barker and Frank Roberts. 25 It is not known whether the Stewart children transferred from the National School to the Roman Catholic School when it commenced, but it is quite likely.
An interesting and entertaining person working in the district in the 1860's was Marcus Clarke. In his "Australian Tales" he describes Glenorchy which he calls "Bullocktown" He is best known for his classic "For the Term of His Natural Life". 26
Glenorchy was the gateway to the north, and wheat and wool from the Wimmera to Geelong passed through it. In this busy centre, Robert. Stewart prospered in his business. The Stewart family made numerous trips to Bendigo, at least while the Clancys remained there, and afterwards Eleanor visited members of the Clancy family in New South Wales. Apart from the visit of Mary, Richard's wife, to Glenorchy in 1892 where the daughter was born, it is not known whether other members of the Clancy family paid visits. Probably Mary Doran, who lived nearest to the Stewarts, did.
Robert Stewart died in Glenorchy on 9th March 1892 aged 74 years and was buried in Glenorchy Cemetery. We shall meet up with Eleanor again as we follow through the story of other members of the Clancy family. Family ties were strong, and on a number of occasions, Eleanor came to the aid of one or another member, either assisting as nurse at the birth of a child, or being present and nursing a member prior to death. She was still living in Glenorchy in June 1904 for Mary Doran, writing to her brother Tom, at that time says, "Poor Eleanor gets very poor health, and Willie's children are very delicate". She died there on 17th February 1907, aged 74 years and was buried in Glenorchy Cemetery. 27
Of the four children only William John ("Willie" in Mary Doran's letter) married. He married Alice Stroude at St. Michael's Presbytery, Deniliquin, on 23rd June 1885, and they lived at Conargo for the next five years. While there, the first two of their family of six were born - Ada Geraldine (born 27th July 1886) and Eleanor Catherine (10th April 1888).28
They returned to Glenorchy in the early part of 1890, where he became a baker. This was only two years before his father died, and it may have been failing health on his father's part that induced William to return. In Glenorchy, four more children were born to them - Alice Mary ("Elsie") on 25th June 1890; Robert Thomas Augustine (30th May 1892); Richard Francis (26th October 1894); and William John (25th December 1896). Exactly two years after the birth of her last child, Alice Stewart died on Christmas Day 1898, aged 34 years and 10 months. William continued to live at Glenorchy, and had a store and post office there, and it would appear that for a time he was also carrying mail. He died on 7th April 1940, at the advanced age of 86 years and was buried in Glenorchy Cemetery. 29
The two daughters of Robert and Eleanor Stewart, "Kate" and "Dene" lived all their lives in Glenorchy, where "Dene" was a dressmaker. Apparently in later life both had a measure of ill-health. Their brother William wrote in 1922:
"Dene is too shaky to write. She managed to walk to Church this morning, the first time she has been outside for months."
In another letter the following year, he said they had just been brought home:
"They improved in there (where?) but they are not much to boast of yet. Dene can manage to stand up and walk again." 30
At that time they would have been 71 and 64 years of age. A photograph of "Kate" taken in 1916 shows her to be a well-built, good-looking woman. "Dene" was a good correspondent, and her uncle Tom Clancy constantly recorded in his diary that he had received letters from her. Unfortunately, he never recorded any information from those letters. "Kate" died on 29th November 1925, aged 73 years; and "Dene" died at Nazareth House, Ballarat, on 25th August 1929, aged 69 years. The other member of the family, Richard Thomas, was working on "Nocoleche" Station, Wanaaring, in the north-west corner of New South Wales in 1917. He spent the last period of his life in Glenorchy, where he died on 3rd June 1932, aged 76 years.
The first three children of Robert and Eleanor were buried in Glenorchy Cemetery, in the case of "Kate" and Richard, the funeral left St. Patricks Roman Catholic Church, Stawell. Geraldine was buried at Ballarat. 31
Only brief mention will be made of the children of William and Alice Stewart. Ada married Harry Clayton, a construction engineer, and they lived in various places in Victoria. They had four children -Lawrence, William, Ronald and Robert. Ada died in 1969 and is buried at North Altona. Eleanor ("Nellie") married Patrick Pollard, a foreman on irrigation channel construction in various places in Victoria. They had six children - Thomas, William, Patrick, Leonard, Hannah (Mrs Frank Dean), and James. Eleanor died in 1936 and was interred at Geelong. Elsie married Thomas Pollard, a butcher at Murtoa and they had two children - Mary (Mrs Len O'Loughlin) and Thomas. She died in 1972 and was buried at Murtoa. Robert married Elizabeth Mathews at Deniliquin and had three children - Joan, Robert and John. Robert was a shearer, and would commence the season shearing in Queensland, and work his way south right down to Tasmania. Robert died at Cheltenham, Victoria in 1964 and Elizabeth in 1960. Richard died in 1896, aged 16 months. William, who did not marry, died in Glenorchy in 1941. He was a labourer in that district. The Clayton and Pollard grandchildren live in Victoria, some at Geelong and Wangaratta. 32